Thursday, March 25, 2010

Banana Hazelnut Bread


Here's another sorta vegan (no eggs, no butter, only lactose-free milk) recipe, for banana bread.  The betrothed decided he didn't like the little bananas we found in the market.  Too sweet for him.  So I made this bread, I wish I had chocolate chips to throw in, but none in the house.

I label my recipes "vegan" because I think they could easily be made vegan by substituting soymilk, juice (depending on the recipe), or even water for the lactose-free milk.  As a vegetarian and a personal chef to someone with food issues, I am always reading recipes that include meat and dairy and eggs, and thinking about how I could make the recipe work for us.  So rather than a strict classification of the recipe, the "vegan" tag works as an indicator of the recipe's suitability for adaptation.

Since I've started sorta vegan baking, I've realized the egg replacement is the toughest challenge.  1 large egg equals 3 1/4 Tablespoons of liquid, but you not only have to replace the liquid for the recipe, but the eggs account for so much of the texture of baked goods, the fluffiness of cakes, and the dense chewiness of cookies.  Because I like dense, moist banana bread, I didn't add extra baking powder and vinegar to this recipe (a common elementary school science solution to creating a rise in vegan baked goods--think that food coloring volcano you did in third grade happening inside the oven).

It rose beautifully, and the finished bread had a crispy, thick crust, and a moist interior.   I used a local flour mill's unbleached "white" flour, so the the bread also had a nice crunch to it.


I also think the hazelnuts are a better flavor match with the bananas than the traditional walnuts.


Banana Hazelnut Bread
Takes 2 hours
Makes 1 loaf

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup almond oil
6 1/2 tbsps. milk
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (approx. 3 big ones, or we had 6 little ones)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup toasted and crushed hazelnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.

Grease and flour 1 loaf pan.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

In the banana bowl, add the sugar and oil, and beat.  Add milk and vanilla and stir to combine.

Pour wet ingredients into the flour ingredients and stir until well-combined.  Add hazelnuts and pour into loaf pan.

Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, until a fork inserted into the bread comes out clean.

Let cool 10 minutes (if you can).

Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment